Grass carp (Ctenopharyngodon idellus) is a native Chinese cyprinid fish, the only species of the genus Ctenopharyngodon. It distributes from the catchment area of the Pearl River in southern China to that of the Heilongjiang River in northern China. As a herbivorous species, grass carp consumes aquatic vegetation very fast and grow rapidly, so they have been introduced to many other countries to control undesirable aquatic vegetation. Due to its delicious flesh, the grass carp is broadly cultivated for food as one of the four major domestic fishes in China. To date, the yield of grass carp shares 16%, the biggest proportion among all aquatic economic fishes around the world.
The Grass Carp Genome Database (GCGD) is a curated web platform for centralized access to information on grass carp genome and genetics. The data cover assembled genome sequences, molecular markers, published high-throughput sequencing data, predicted genes and annotations from other databases including nr, Gene Ontology (GO) or KEGG. Comparisons of synteny between grass carp and zebrafish are also visualized. Some tools were integrated to facilitate the search and analysis of data, e.g. mapping by blast, slicing sequences, enriching KEGG and GO terms.
The genome of grass carp consists of 24 pairs of chromosomes, and it is 1 pair less than that of zebrafish due to a chromosome fusion during evolution. While a chromosome-level assembly is still on the way, GCGD is based the draft genome was published in 2015 as the result of collaboration of multiple research groups, which include:
- State Key Laboratory of Freshwater Ecology and Biotechnology, Institute of Hydrobiology, Chinese Academy of Sciences;
- National Center for Gene Research, Shanghai Institute of Plant Physiology and Ecology, Shanghai Institutes for Biological Sciences, Chinese Academy of Sciences;
- State Key Laboratory of Biocontrol, School of Life Sciences, Sun Yat-Sen University;
- Guangdong Province Key Laboratory for Aquatic Economic Animals, School of Life Sciences, Sun Yat-Sen University;
- Wellcome Trust Sanger Institute, Wellcome Trust Genome Campus;
- Key Laboratory of Freshwater Animal Breeding of the Ministry of Agriculture, College of Fisheries, Huazhong Agricultural University;
- School of Computer Science, China University of Geosciences;etc.